HOT TOPICS LUNCHEON
One-Cent Sales Tax Extension
October 22, 2014
Mark your calendars and make your reservation for the October Hot Topics luncheon on October 22 at the Capitol City Country Club beginning at 11:00 a.m. with food service at 11:30 a.m.
This month's Hot Topic is the extension of the one-cent sales tax. We have a well informed panel to present the information to our membership. County Commissioner Kristin Dozier, City Commissioner Scott Maddox along with Mathieu Cavell, Public Information Specialist for Leon County, and Wayne Tedder, Director of Planning and Land Management for the City of Tallahassee, will be our presenters.
This will be an in depth look at the projects that have already been completed due to the previous sales tax revenue and a look at what both the city and the county are planning to accomplish with the additional revenue generated by the extension of the sales tax.
Bring your questions and gain a better understanding of what the sales tax is all about.
||October 22, 2014 Wednesday (FOURTH WEDNESDAY)
||11:30 a.m.--1:00 p.m. Hot Topic Luncheon
(buffet followed by speaker)
||Capital City Country Club, 1601 Golf Terrace Drive
||Bloody Mary chicken, wild mushroom ravioli, salad bar, vegetables, rolls and butter, coffee and tea.
||Members - $17 Nonmembers - $20
||The first three student members to RSVP eat FREE!!
FOR RESERVATIONS please call 309-3005 or e-mail LWVTallahassee@gmail.com Please RSVP by Saturday morning, October 18. **Because the League must pay for reservations cancelled after Saturday, October 18, those who cancel late should reimburse the League for the cost of their reservations.
Nine Reasons to Join Today!
LWVF is on the move, and your voice is needed to keep up the fight for a better Florida!
Here’s a brief list of the League's most recent accomplishments:
1. Participated in a lawsuit that blocked the state of Florida's attempts to illegally purge registered voters 90 days before an election.
2. Reduced gerrymandering by leading the charge for the Fair Districts amendments, which finally set clear rules for drawing political districts, and were voted into the Florida Constitution by 63% of voters.
3. Eliminated roadblocks to voting by demanding that the Legislature reinstate early voting days and the Sunday before Election Day, following the incredible delays, including 8-hour long lines in Miami, that voters faced during Election Day 2012.
4. Struck down unconstitutional restrictions on voter registration via a precedent-setting victory in U.S. federal court.
5. Helped place Florida's Water and Land Legacy Amendment on the November 2014 general election ballot; our members collected over 25,000 signed petitions throughout the state of Florida.
6. Lead the push for SUNRAIL -- Central Florida's new commuter rail network.
7. Initiated curbside recycling in St. Petersburg, as well as permission for citizens to speak in Orange County Commission meetings.
8. Successfully persuaded Florida voters to defeat 9 out of 11 amendments on the 2012 ballot, many of which would have severely eroded the rights of citizens and/or de-funded local governments.
9. Worked with statewide environmental groups to successfully pressure the Florida Department of Environmental Protection to halt the sale of state-owned conservation lands.
Get Information on Forums, Vote411Leon & Bandwagon Here
ELECTION NEEDS RIGHT THERE ON YOUR SMARTPHONE OR DESKTOP, IN BOTH ENGLISH AND
Find/Call your Supervisor of Elections
Call to order your absentee ballot
Call to update your address
Check your voter status
Find your precinct
Find your sample ballot
Countdown clock to Election Day
Don't miss a single
election: Be Ready!
HOT TOPIC EVENTS
Join us at our monthly Hot Topic Event to hear a speaker discuss timely issues and enjoy a meal together.
4th Wednesday of every month (except June/July)
Dates, times, location and speakers are announced right here!
New Member to LWVT?
Watch for an announcement of our next New Member Orientation!
Follow Us On: