Educating and meeting the information needs of voters is one of the most important roles of the League of Women Voters. A committee manages this service but many volunteers are needed to provide all the available services.
Voter Services Committee
Margaret Boeth, Chair - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Plans and delivers services to assist local voters
- Coordinates activities with the Leon County Supervisor of Elections Office
- Produces electronic and paper publications related to elections and elected officials
- Manages and participates in voter outreach and education during election years
- Coordinates LWVT participation in voter registration
How can I participate?
You may want to volunteer to help with one or more of the activities below.
Electronic Voter Guide
www.vote411.org, an online voter guide, is active in election years and contains information about all candidates for races to be voted on in Leon County. Candidate responses to League posed questions are also on the website when a candidate has provided a response.
Know Your Public Officials
Two directories of elected officials, one for Leon County and one for Gadsden County, published in quantity and on the League website after elections.
Voter Registration and Education
League members must go through a voter registration certification process before they can register voters. It’s easy and takes very little time. Voter registration takes place when the League has a booth or table at a local event and is especially important during election season. League members also educate citizens about the pros and cons of referendums on the ballot.
Candidate forums provide an opportunity for candidates for public office to address the public. Voter Services will participate in several forums in 2016.
- Bandwagon – presented jointly by WFSU TV and LWV Tallahassee before both the primary and general elections, this filmed event provides candidates an opportunity to address the public on TV.
- Big Bend Environmental Forum/League of Women Voters of Tallahassee Candidate Forum – in-person forums held at Tallahassee City Hall before the primary and general elections.
- LWVT Local Government Candidate Forum – Voter Services assists the Local Government Study & Action Group to present a forum for candidates for city and county commission before the primary election; held at the LeRoy Collins Leon County Public Library Main Branch.